A certain gal pal (and her friend) from home came to visit the USofA. Naturally, Manhattan was a stop. I felt obligated to take them to some place famous to eat, opted out of Morimoto because I had done that, leaving with a choice between Del Posto or Tao - Iron Chef or SATC-made-famous-place.
Of course, gal pal chose TAO due to her unrequited love for all things SATC...


Yelp reviews on TAO were a hit or miss. I made reservations on opentable.com and got us a table for four. Upon entering, TAO was filled with Euro (almost-trash) boys and girls, some overdressed. Boys with button downs, double polos and popped collars, girls with skirts too short. Oh wait, that was the bar-portion of Tao.
The restaurant was nicer. Much nicer. This time, there were young men with girls, dressed in sports jackets or casual suits - the young, rich twenties.
Décor off the ceiling. I actually like it. For obvious reasons, Tao is Asian inspired.

Huge Buddha statue at Tao serves as its centerpiece. I wasn't too sure if I should be offended or in awe of its placement in a bistro... Tao's dining experience has three levels, the ground level by the Buddha, the balcony level (where we were) with a live African drummer, or the "skybox" level (table for small parties, quieter, brighter and more expensive).

Our sample of dishes. As you can see, this place is much too dimly-litted. Good place to grab a late night supper, get a drink (i hear the Tao-tini is good) and maybe dessert (see next pic).

we chose to order their "Fortune Cookie", this humongous fortune cookie puts all fortune cookies to shame as it contained half vanilla-mousse and half chocolate-mousse. Topped off with dusted sugar and a selection of fruits, plus a scoop of vanilla icecream. I would say this was the highlight of my meal.

Naturally, it contained fortunes...
Mine told is that "Less is more". I think it was telling me to stop shopping ( i had just entered into temptation by allowing myself to buy a pair of Césare Paciotti heels.. but they were on SALE!!! Thus, duly justified)

We took 3451231542 pictures on the space overlooking the lower level. Like Morimoto and their glass waterfall-wall that is a photo spot, Tao had this as theirs with the Buddha as your background...

I actually still feel a little bad about taking this photo here...
Red top from Urban Outfitter's boutique selection
Belt (unknown) from mum
Black tights paired with my fav. black knee-high boots
Gold Kate Spade handbag.


No comments:
Post a Comment